Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Soup and Hoops

One wouldn’t think that soup for a good cause would turn into one of the better afternoons since we have moved to the Phoenix area, but that is exactly what Tempe Empty Bowls ended up. 

I had been told that to get the nicer (and more unique) pieces, we needed to go to the library early; so we went to the Tempe library just before 11.  Tempe Empty Bowls is an organization that raises money and awareness for the hungry around the valley.  The money goes to resupply a food bank that among other things supports food programs that feed children over the weekend.  –Some of the kids that go to the school where I work benefit from taking food home on Fridays to help supplement their weekend nutritional needs.—

Tempe Empty Bowls sells a hand made bowl and then gives away some soup, bread, and water to remind you what it is like to be hungry.  The soup and bread is donated by Whole Food Markets (I recommend the potato leek soup…it was simply devine!)

While we were eating our soup, a lady came out of the library and invited us to come see someone hoop dance.  I hadn’t seen anyone hoop dance before, and I was game to see the free show so we went inside. 

Brian Hamill was inside giving a show with his family (Native Spirit Productions) and we were amazed for about an hour.  Brian’s son, Dallas, is the #2 juvenile hoop dancer in the world and once we saw him dance we could easily see why.  He is supposed to be on America’s Got Talent, and I plan to watch this summer and vote for him.  Then Brian danced, and we found out a little something that he had forgotten to mention…he is the number one hoop dancer in the world.  I was so impressed.  I know that if I tried to do it – I would trip on a hoop and would need my leg put in traction. 

This week the husband has been very good to me…we have tickets to the Rodeo in Scottsdale and tickets to the NASCAR race!  I can’t wait to tell you about both of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my little blog. As soon as it has been approved, your comment will be posted for all the world to see.