Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tucson for Rocks and Scones

Last weekend, we traveled South of town to Tucson for what I am told is one of the biggest gem and mineral shows in the United States.  Being a girl and all of that, I was more than excited to go to a show that featured all things sparkly!  I loved learning about how to cut my own opals.  I don't think that I am ever going to take up that particular hobby, but it was very interesting to learn how gets a beautiful opal out of a chunk of unimpressive rock.  I also left fervently wishing that my skills and talents were such that I could make my own jewelry since there were so many stones that needed to be set - I still find myself thinking about these pieces that reminded me of Japanese water color paintings.  (I may look for some already made into jewelry online...thank God for the power of the Internet!)

One can only walk around looking at rocks for so long, even when the rocks are as magnificent as the Hooker emerald.  (74 carats!)  So, John took me over to 6th Street for lunch and shopping.  He lived and and trained at Fort Huachuca for about 18 months when he first joined the Army, so he is very familiar with Tucson.  I loved the little shops that we founds, and I wish that we had enough time (and appetite) to try all the restaurants that lined the street.  We decided to have Italian food for lunch and stopped in to Carusos.  (http://www.carusositalian.com/)  I had the minestrone soup and was very impressed with how deep the flavor was, however; my favorite part of our meal was my lemonade.  I could be wrong, but I am positive that it started the day out as real lemons.  We walked around a little and then decided to have something sweet.  We decided to try out the Chocolate Iguana.  (http://www.chocolateiguanaon4th.com/)  We had a chocolate chip scone with orange icing, and I am here to tell you that it was one of the best things I have ever eaten.  I'm on one of those dreaded after-the-holidays diets, and it is definitely worth the calories. 

I certainly will be after the hubby to take me back to Tucson so I can explore some more.  I specifically will be back to 6th Street to eat at some of those restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my little blog. As soon as it has been approved, your comment will be posted for all the world to see.