Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Busy, Busy Weekend

Wow! I think I need a weekend to recover from this weekend. 

We have tentative plans to leave the state in January, so we made a renewed commitment to see and do as much of the local flavor as possible—it wasn’t like we were spending every weekend at home as it was.

Anyone who reads even half-way closely knows that John is here to go to school for the Army.  This means that he can get tickets to certain events though a service called Vet Tickets. (If you are active duty or a veteran, we highly recommend this site!)  The biggest thing that it allows us to do is afford to see some of the events around town on a teacher’s salary.  This great site allowed us to jam pack a weekend…

I decided that money was money, and being a teacher I don’t make a ton of it – so I decided to teach AIMS boot camp for half a day each Saturday morning for six weeks.  This Saturday was the first session. It was actually a really enjoyable day with the “babies”, and I’m looking forward to seeing if their scores go up after working for 6 Saturdays.

We had tickets to the Coyotes NHL game Saturday night, and I have to admit that I was really looking forward to seeing the game.  I love hockey – ok…I love a good fight – and that game had a hum dinger!  I also just really like the area around the Jobing.com arena.  We didn’t decide to eat there this time, but it is really fun to walk around. 

We decided to have dinner at a place I’ve seen near my school and read reviews about in the paper.  The Barrio CafĂ© on
Thomas/16th Street
came highly recommended.  We have been looking for amazing Mexican food since we moved to AZ; I’m sad to say that we are still looking.  The food was really good, but it wasn’t amazing.  It was also expensive to be in a restaurant that is located in a “depressed” area of Central Phoenix.  Not exactly the wrong side of the tracks, but I was still glad that the car has an alarm on it.  I ordered pasole soup (something my students told me to try) and it was the highlight of my meal.  If I go back, I will definitely be trying it again.

Part 2 – of busy, busy weekend will be the NASCAR race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my little blog. As soon as it has been approved, your comment will be posted for all the world to see.