Saturday, December 10, 2011

Art, Boats, and a Man Test

I don't know how we manage to cram so many unrelated things into a weekend, but I think this one takes the proverbial cake. 

Last night I was reading the local paper (we get weekend delivery) and saw a write up that Evermore Nevermore was going out of business and last night's 2nd Friday was going to be their last day.  I am a lover of all things weird, and the hubby likes comic books so we decided to go check it out.  I had high hopes for stocking stuffers.  Mesa has a 2nd Friday art walk (http://www.2ndfridaynightout.com/), and I have to say that it was very enjoyable.  There were unique arts and crafts type items along main street.  My favorites were a booth that sold "Harry Potter" type wands and one that sold unicorn horns.  There are several pop culture type shops - and one seemed to feature awesome t-shirts.  We stopped in at Lo-Fi coffee shop (http://www.loficoffee.com/) for a warming cup of coffee as we walked.  I wasn't impressed with their pumpkin spiced latte, but the hubby said that the chai tea was really good. 

This morning the hubby and some of his friends from the motorcycle discussion boards decided to test their stuff against the "Man Test" 5k (http://www.man-test.com/).  I went for moral support and to work the camera.  It is a 5k that features several obstacles.  The race didn't live up to it's hype, but they looked like they were having fun when they took the giant slip and slide down to the finish line. 



Sabine (our friend that ran the Man Test with John) suggested that we go see the Tempe boat parade, so after a nap and some warming up we headed down to Tempe Town Lake to see the boats.(http://www.millavenue.com/events/fantasyoflights)  There were so many people that we couldn't see the boats on the water, but I really enjoyed walking down Mill Avenue and looking at the lights.  I even got my picture made with the Mellow Mushroom mascot outside the restaurant, even though we decided to eat at home when we got back and not go for a slice. 

I think John is going to run Camelback Mountain tomorrow with some friends while I stay home and try to finally beat the cold I have been fighting since last Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my little blog. As soon as it has been approved, your comment will be posted for all the world to see.