Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What I learned from GWAR

Monday, I went to my very first heavy metal concert.  It was, to say the least, an eye opening experience.  My husband has taken it upon himself to broaden my horizons, and apparently this includes having a large alien like creature jack-off on me.  So...let's be honest.  I don't listen to heavy metal and didn't know anything about GWAR.
I was expecting the dread-locks and the questionable wardrobe choices.  I watched with a kind of egotistical detachment.  I'm nothing like "those" people.  Then I watched a very theatrical show.  I watched a group of people having a great time.  I watched my husband jumping up and down, loving life while the band sprayed synthetic bodily fluids at him.  I also saw a group of people come together in support of a fallen friend.  At the end of the show, there was a tribute to Cory Smoot - the recently fallen member of GWAR.  People came together and remembered.  In that moment, they weren't people who wouldn't be able to have a professional job...(unspoken - like me)...they were just people who were experiencing the universal emotions like sorrow and loss.

As for the touristy stuff:
The marquee theater was a gritty venue that seemed to mesh well with the music.  It was the first time I had been anywhere to see a concert where there were no seats.  I highly recommend seeing one of their shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my little blog. As soon as it has been approved, your comment will be posted for all the world to see.